Saturday, April 9, 2011



William Peddie (1861-1946)

William Peddie was originally from Orkney. 1891 saw the publication of the 1st edition of the �Manual of Physics�, one of the most widely used text books of the day. In 1909 he published �Elementary dynamics of Solids and Fluids� to equal popularity. In 1892 he was appointed as a lecturer at Edinburgh University. In 1907 he came to the Chair of Physics at University College, Dundee. Here he oversaw the building of the Carnegie Physics Laboratory - which still stands in the Geddes Quadrangle on campus. He wrote on mathematics and thermodynamics and equipatition of energy. He also carried out experiments on the properties of metals when twisted, colour (a subject on which he became an authority) and also wrote on magnetism.

2 comments:

  1. #
    Pam Peddie I know this is a relative for sure.
    December 2, 2010 at 5:00pm · LikeUnlike
    #
    PJ Peddie i might have some of his fam info ...gotta get my printer connected to my computer ..i am good at finding info and saved lots incase they are mine , might be mine too once dad mentioned Peddies were good at math while he was helping me with my homework [bummer i take after mom in that subject]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Peddie. I'm good at math.:) My name is Colin Peddie, whose family comes from the Howick, Quebec area originally. Not sure how I stumbled onto your site. I was reading about John S. Peddie, surgeon on the ill-fated HMS Terror, Franklin's ship trying to find a Northwest Passage route. I hope this finds you as I see the date of your above post is 2011. Sending this now. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete